Monday, June 25, 2012

Adventures in Quilting–Scrappy Quilted Sewing Machine Cover

DSCN2972Cover from the front

This is my first finished quilting project after getting back into quilting after a long hiatus (the last project I made was a wall quilt that was a wedding present for a friend that got married in November 2005).  My current quilting journey began when I started to improve my sewing skills.  One of the best tools that really improved my sewing and quilting skills was when I purchased my rotary cutter.  Have straight lines when piecing and sewing makes a HUGE difference in the accuracy of sewing and quilting. 

DSCN2971

Since I have been sewing a lot more I really needed a cover for my sewing machine and what better way to practice quilting techniques then on a small project like this.  The idea for the main blocks I got from Jelly Roll Quilts by Pam & Nicky Lintott.  The main shape for the I got from Fresh Quilting: Fearless Color, Design, and Inspiration by Malka Dubrawsky.  The entire cover was made from scraps and left over fabric from other projects (thus the name “scrappy” sewing machine cover).  I learned a lot about quilt making and what tools I needed while making this.  First I learned the necessity for having a ruler that does not slide (mine was sliding all over the place on me until I got grippers to put on the bottom of this).  It is really important that your cuts be accurate or your seams will not line up.  Also I learned the need for an accurate 1/4 inch seam.  I found a 1/4 inch foot and Jo-Ann for $5, which was a big help in achieving this.  Sine my blocks were not perfectly lined up I decided to machine quilt this with wonky and not perfect lines, which helped obscure my the less than perfect piecing.  Overall I really love how this came out.
DSCN2976Back of the cover
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment